Sunday, March 05, 2006

More on Fiddlesticks Country Silk

Knitting I mentioned a couple of days ago that I'd bought some silk for Minnie from Fiddlesticks, but had decided not to use it. The first and most serious issue is with the yardage; I must have miscalculated, but comparing the yardage on both yarns suggests that there is nowhere near enough in one skein of country silk to make Minnie. The second, also serious, issue is gauge; I don't know what I was smoking when I decided this would be a good substitute, but it ain't. It might have worked, but probably not. Nevermind! But the third issue is colour. It just isn't what I expected................. I bought two colourways of this silk blend - Bronze and Rose Garden - in one order, and in both cases I was ......surprised by the actual colours when the skeins arrived. I know that buying online is always tricky, but the Bronze is more of a yellow, and the Rose Garden has almost no brown in it, but does have a peachy pink and what I can only describe as lime green. Both skeins appear a lot lighter in person than on any of the (carefully adjusted) monitors that I use. That is, a lot, lot lighter. That's a shame, because I had great plans for more knitting with this stuff, but the colours that appeal to me most are the intense, saturated colours like Marrakesh, Earth and Autumn. If they're all significantly paler, then I'm not so hot on them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

Mmm, that Rose Garden looks great. The green on my monitor is very subtle, though.

3/07/2006 10:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home