Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Nolympian

I don't want anyone to think I'm against the Olympics, or a spoilsport, but I'm pulling out of the big knitting event. There are several reasons; the main one being that I'm just not enjoying it. Knitting is supposed to be a relaxing hobby for me, and this deadline is, for some reason, not inspiring me. I can't knit with my selected yarn (Noro Iro) for prolonged periods; it makes my hands hurt. I've knit with Kureyon and Silk Garden in the past, and had no problems, but this seems to have no 'give' in it. I've ended up designing my own garment for this yarn, and I'm excited about it, but it's not going to be plain sailing. I might have enough yarn; I might not. I don't want to knit my heart out and my hands off, just to run out of yarn. It's also an unusual construction, and might need a few re-works before it works. I don't want to settle for a sub-par piece just to get it done in time. Additionally, I set my own knitting plans for this year way back in January. They don't have hard deadlines, and they're open to change, and I'm happy with that. So my Olympic project is on hold, I'm going back to my Ice Maiden and I'll pick this one up later. When the muse hits me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

I completely get it, Otter. I made plans which luckily were changeable, but I wasn't wedded to the original plans, and I have a pint-sized niece who will fit the finished thing. I wish I'd chosen a pair of socks or something....

2/19/2006 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

If you're not enjoying it, I can completely understand why you've decided to do it at your own pace. It's your own design so it's so important that you're happy with it. Quality not quantity. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's in its finished glory.

2/22/2006 07:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home