Friday, February 10, 2006

Not feelin' the love

Knitting Today is cast-on day in the knitting olympics. I've been looking forwards to this for so long that it's very frustrating to find that I'm not too happy about it now. I had decided to design my own zip-up hoodie with a cable running round it in a yarn I already had. Sadly, after extensive swatching, I've decided that the yarn does not suit the pattern I had in mind. I've thought about the possible modifications to the design to make it work, and I'm not enamoured of them. And I've failed to find a pattern that I think suits the yarn and is a challenge and uses about the right amount of the selected yarn (because I only have so much). I could pick a different yarn, but I'm quite committed to my Noro, thanks. I wanted to knit something for myself, because a lot of the people I'd knit for read this blog, and I like giving people surprises. I wanted a technical challenge, rather than a "how on earth can I knit so much without neglecting my work/family/friends/home" challenge. Obviously, though, there's no point knitting a highly technical piece that's about 20 cm square. I have so much that I want to knit, I don't want to spend time (even 16 days!) doing something I'm not really fired up about. There's no point getting all wound up about this; knitting is a hobby, after all! But I want to succeed at this challenge!!

3 Comments:

Blogger mum4d said...

and where's the picture of the hooded top you've already knitted... on a gorgeous little boy?

2/10/2006 03:14:00 PM  
Blogger Mary deB said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2/11/2006 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Mary deB said...

Aw, Alison! Maybe multiple pairs of wristwarmers?
We missed you at the pub last night.
Mary

2/11/2006 09:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home