Sunday, January 29, 2006

Olympic plans

Knitting OK, I'm planning to knit a hooded cardigan from Noro Iro in a dark colourway involving blue, purples, pinks and browns on a black ground. design involved a cabled border that goes round each cuff, and round the hem, centre fronts and hood edge. Also, set in sleeves. The cable is a simple 3-strand plait: I'm wondering, mind you, if it would look better with raglan sleeves, hence the asymmetry. So, I've knit a swatch or two - one in stockinette, and one to prove the concept of this cable turning a 90 degree corner. In that, I've been successful: But, can you see the cable? No? Me neither. Well, maybe just. But I'm wondering if this yarn is just not going to show the cable well enough to justify it. I still want to knit one of these for me, but maybe not in this yarn. So, maybe the border should be in garter stitch for this yarn? I don't have time to swatch another yarn for this design, so it's either this yarn, this design, or this yarn, modified design. Votes in the comments, please.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

Noro, no cable. Raglan sleeves.
Are you going to drive yourself crazy trying to match colours on the various bits??

1/29/2006 03:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noro... no cable. I've seen Noro show cables, but this shade is obviously hellbent on hiding them.
Why waste all that effort (and yarn) for no visibility?
.
Me, I vastly prefer wearing set in sleeves, so I'm biased that way...That's such an indivdual preference thing, I hardly dare vote. All I'll say is NO DROP SHOULDERS.

1/29/2006 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger mum4d said...

Ok, not a knitter, but I like the cable effect. It has come out ok on the pix, and as most people will be admiring it close up, they'll be able to see the cable too. Also, as the recipient (or rather Alex was) of the other one you knitted, and we're still getting very good comments/remarks about it, go for cable. But as I said, I'm not a knitter!

1/29/2006 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I also vote no cable with the Noro. To me, Noro's all about the color and fiber and the cable is lost (or more of a distraction than an attraction); save the textured knitting for a more solid color that will really showcase it.

The shoulder/sleeves should be what you like to wear best.

1/30/2006 07:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home