Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I've not yet met a yarn I couldn't stand, though I've steered clear of 100% synthetic yarns and 'fun fur' types. I find very chunky yarns tiring for my hands, and tend to steer clear of 6mm needles (or larger). I loved knitting with Rowan Wool Cotton, Rowan Calmer and Noro Kureyon. 2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? One of those CD folders with plastic pockets for the CDs! I use circular needles almost exclusively (except for socks, which I knit on DPNs), and you can coil them up and pop them in the pocket. Needle gauges, crochet hooks and DPNs live in a little pocket in the front. Sometimes the 'uncoiling urge' overcomes the needles and the whole thing explodes when I unzip it. I have an old pasta sauce jar that my straights stand in. 3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I can't remember not being able to knit, though I do remember figuring out how to purl (I was about 10). I went through a brief knitting phase when I was 18, and then let it lapse till just over a year ago. I'd say I'm a strong intermediate knitter, with an adventurous, can-do approach. 4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes; on Amazon. I don't know how to get a reliable link to it, though. 5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I'm not a very 'scent-y' person. I like light floral/green scents, and spicy scents, but I don't tend to wear them much. I have some shea butter stuff that I love for its 'caramel' scent, and a 'butter pecan' candle in my living room that makes me drool! 6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Yes, but it's not much stronger than my savoury tooth! I love chocolate, from white to very, very dark; I love caramels (particular the almost bitter kinds) and licquorice, but I don't much like the very sugary, colourful 'synthetic foam' sweets like Haribo! 7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? Yes, I spin! I also crochet, sew, silversmith, cook, embroider, make bobbin lace and have recently branched out into card-making. I'm planning to join the SCA soon, and have an interest in historical crafts, especially the ways that people made everyday items. 8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Mostly classical; also Egyptian/Middle Eastern (I do bellydancing). I also like New Age and ancient music. 9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I usually wear autumnal colours; beige/brown/khakhi/green. I very rarely wear pinks, but I'm trying to break down that phobia (see Minnie, and last year's 'orchid' skirt). I almost never wear yellow, or any blues other than either washed-out pale or actual denim. 10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I live with my partner, James, in a house we recently bought together. I have two chinchillas (Domino and Trinity), and a dog (a female lurcher, called Kita) 11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Not ponchos. I do wear scarves, hats and mitts if the weather gets cold enough - but it didn't really, this last winter. 12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Ohh, impossible to say! 13. What are you knitting right now? A sweater for J in Rowan ASC and 'Minnie' from Rowan 39 for me. 14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Definitely! 15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Circs. Except for sock-knitting, when I use DPNs. I've not used bamboo needles, and don't like the plastics I have used. I'm not fussy about my needles, mostly using 'Pony' brand, which is what my LYS stocks. 16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes, to both. 17. How did you learn to knit? I don't remember! I taught myself all but the very basics from a book, and am still picking things up from the internet. 18. How old is your oldest UFO? If we're talking knitting, about 6 months (a sweater I started for my brother's Christmas); if we're talking crochet, about 16 years!! (a lace curtain that my Mum probably doesn't even want any more) 19. What is your favorite holiday? Any time I don't have to go into work! 20. Is there anything that you collect? No... except yarn. And fabric. And blog subscriptions... 21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I'm subscribed to Rowan International, and Simply Knitting. 22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Not right now... 23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? yes... I have UK size 7 feet. 24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) March 1st

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home