Sunday, April 16, 2006

My wheel

Midsummer Night's Knitter asked in a recent comment about my wheel. Well, it's a no-name made by a carpenter who used to live near my parents, and whose wife was a spinner. He was fairly elderly when he made my wheel; I have no idea if he's still making them, or even if he's still alive. That was at least 15 years ago; I've had this wheel more than half my life! It's a double-drive Saxony type wheel, and I believe it's made of oak. It has only one treadle, and is designed for only right-footed treadling; I'm trying to learn to treadle it leftie, though. Unlike all the wheels I am currently seeing on the internet, it doesn't have a solid beam connecting the treadle to the wheel; it just has a cord: That means that you can only pull on the wheel, not push; therefore, there is no point being able to heel-treadle. So you can't. I really need more bobbins for this wheel, especially since one of the ones I have 'binds' and will not turn. I don't know if I'll ever manage that, though. I will, in the future, get a second wheel - probably a castle type to allow for ambidextrous use, and ergonomic comfort. I'll always love this one, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home