Tuesday, September 12, 2006

An Ashford in the family

Ready... Set... Go!!
I meant to blog more fully about the construction of this wheel, but nothing very interesting happened, and anyway, I was so absorbed I lost track of my camera! I've actually owned this wheel for a couple of months now; it came as a kit in unfinished wood. Now, normally me and delayed gratification are just fine together, but not in this case. Each piece of this beauty (and a few more - see later) had to be sanded and waxed1. I'm not a woodworker; it interests me, but I'm not 'into' it. Anyway, it's now finally together, and it is so easy to treadle and so quiet compared to my other wheel that I spent about two hours spinning Lorna's Laces top on it last night without noticing any fatigue at all. The wheel, I love; the top, I'm not so sure about. It's probably because it's been stashed for ages, but it feels pretty compacted and refuses to draft. I'm trying to pre-draft, but even that isn't helping all that much; it sticks and jumps and won't draft smoothly. If I want to spin this evenly, I need to find a way to help open it out again. I'd think about carding or combing, but the roving's already space-dyed, and I'm not sure I want to mix it all up. ________________________________________________________________ 1 OK, I could have just assembled it without finishing - the wood is nice and smooth anyway - but I just *know* that within months it would be looking grubby and sorry for itself, especially around the treadles and those places where one's hands repeatedly touch... So I wanted to seal the wood, so that all muck and rubbish would not soak into the grain and would be easily removed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

Oh, my! That yarn is great colours. Enjoy the spinning!

9/12/2006 07:15:00 PM  
Blogger Spinningsue said...

Lovely! I have an Ashford Traveller too and its a great wheel. I finished mine with a clear satin varnish and its mellowed to a lovely honey colour.

9/13/2006 08:03:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love my Ashford traveller!! I know you will too. I got mine finished. I work two jobs and have no time to do a good job

10/17/2006 04:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home