Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Furious

I have chronic fatigue syndrome, brought on by an attack of shingles almost exactly a year ago. It's arrival in my life has played merry hell with a whole bunch of things, from libido to apparent intelligence; from ability to concentrate to ability to sleep. It's seen me on ever-increasing doses of antidepressants, as if that'll help, and I've accumulated a really, really bad attendance record at work. It's led to me gaining weight as I can't exercise, and because all I want in the evening is a beer. That in turn means my self-esteem drops. Moving house brought with it a new GP, who is a total star; she actually diagnosed this as post-viral chronic fatigue, which has been pretty darned obvious to everyone who knows me, and recommended cognitive behavioural therapy as the most successful treatment for this condition. I phoned AXA PPP to pre-authorise treatment; they said yes, fine. I found a therapist; I cleared her with AXA PPP. Yes, that's fine. After a couple of sessions, my therapist recommends that I check with them how many sessions my insurance covers; they say six, and then more, resting on the prognosis and treatment plan written by my therapist. My therapist writes a treatment plan, and faxes it to them; they say they'll reply within 24 hours. This therapy, along with reducing the antidepressants, is really helping me now. 10 days later, we still haven't heard from them. I start to get in contact; they are remarkably evasive. Today, I finally get a reply. My condition and its treatment are not covered. At all. They graciously say that they will pay for the six sessions I've had, as it was their mistake that I was told I could have them. Geee, thanks. I am utterly furious.

6 Comments:

Blogger Twelfthknit said...

THat's so c*** . And, so short sighted - don't these companies realise that there's more than one way to skin a cat, as it were, and that what used to be called 'alternative' therapies can be more effective (and, thereby CHEAPER, god bless the coporate heart) in the long run)?
Take care,
India

7/20/2006 11:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it' scandalous! And I agree with India: it's so short sighted. I think you need immediately an encouragement - tomorrow your second parcel will be on the way!
Have a nice weekend, take care.
Your secret pal

7/20/2006 06:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrrr... Short sighted.

7/20/2006 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I used to work for a doctor in his private practise, he sometimes used to prescribe more holistic treatments and we often had to argue with the medical insurance companies. They could be incredibly inconsistant often paying for one person and not another, seemed sometimes to depend on luck of the draw and who in particular dealt with each case.

So sorry to hear about your chronic fatigue but glad that you have finally got a diagnosis, wishing your well.

7/23/2006 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I agree with everyone else! These companies appear to do anything to avoid helping. Keep your chin up.

7/24/2006 10:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there! You just keep remembering what a wonderful person you are and do what you need to do! i just hate insurance--what a crock!

7/25/2006 03:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home