Friday, June 02, 2006

Spinning, all the time

Having finished my first day's end 8oz (the reds), I'm now well into my second (the greens). No photo at the minute though, because I'm at work. I don't know what it is about spinning at the minute; it's simply enthralling me. Actually, it's not all spinning; last night I finished the second front/back of J's sweater. Ye gods, there's a lot of knitting in a man-sweater. I'm more than halfway through my yarn, though, and I bought siginificantly more than I needed, so the end must be in sight. I placed an order with Twist Fibre Craft on Tuesday - and received my goods on Wednesday! What service!! They don't have an online order form (it's a print-and-post-or-fax-or-phone system), but nonetheless, I'd highly recommend them. I'll show the booty later (mostly spinning tools), but I also bought a little book called "The Ashford Book of Weaving for Knitters" (scroll down). Now, I am definitely a knitter, and I definitely have plenty of hobbies, so please don't go thinking I'm about to add another to the mix (ahem...), but I've been reading others' experiences with weaving recently, and I am always very interested in archaic and archaeological textiles. I want to understand more about the mechanics and technology of weaving, and the construction and types of looms that are out there. So I thought this book would be a good introduction to weaving and looms for people who already know knitting. Unfortunately, a better title would be "Weaving scarves using knitting yarns". It's a nice book, but all it is is a collection of patterns. It is suggested as an ideal companion for the "knitter's loom", and apparently, you have to buy the loom in order to get the instructions for the 'special warping method' repeatedly referenced by the author of the book. Grrrr. Oh, and apparently, I'm Katherine Parr:
Which of Henry VIII's wives are you? this quiz was made by Lori Fury
Sounds about right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Hey - email me indiamcmillan@hotmail.com - I can describe the 'special warping method' to you no bother (not that I want to do Pete & LAura out of a sale, but it seems a bit off to have to buy a book just for that....)

6/03/2006 01:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home