Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Triple mohair triangle

Knitting This is currently my 'at work' project. So far, I'm somewhat disappointed with it, from a colour perspective. I started this shawl shortly before Christmas as an 'easy, mindless' distraction from socks and other gifts. The pattern is from Fiddlesticks, available here.

The lace pattern is indeed simple (to the point of dull, at this stage), but is teaching me how a triangular shawl is created by starting in the centre of the long edge. The rows are now getting really quite long, and I think the project needs to go home with me. It might make good TV knitting, though you have to pay attention to the stitches to make sure you pick up all three strands!

The shawl is knitted by holding three strands of mohair together - the suggested combination is two closely toning colours and a third contrast colour. I picked two reds (a very dark, purplish berry red and a brighter, almost pinkish red) and a wheat-gold colour:

The resultant fabric is.... orange. I don't know why I'm surprised at this - after all, red + yellow = orange, right? But I don't think I'd expected the yellow to be such a clear influence. The individual colours are clear and jewel-bright, and I expected rich, clear reds with an occasional warming flash of gold. Guess that wasn't to be. Not with mohair. I think the halo 'blurs' the colours together:

I'm keeping on keeping on, though. Everyone who has seen it has been surprised that I'm not feelin' the love. Maybe I'll love it more when it's done. It does seem to go well with both brown and green - both 'me' colours. And I'm definitely keen on having a snuggly-soft, warm mohair shawl that will actually keep me warm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

That shawl will be nice! Maybe you could ditch the yellow now and then and stick in some other colour for a row or two? It would look stripey then, I guess. Hmmm. I'd say, love the orangy-ness of it!
Hope to see you Friday, but I have to help take 30 8-year-olds swimming in the morning, so I'll be a tad late, I think! But I'll sure need a beer!

1/11/2006 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home