Thursday, December 08, 2005

Mystery solved?? ...and: advantages of houses

Over at the Harlot's place today, I spotted a post about smelly goats. Between giggling and wiping coffee off my keyboard, I realised that the pictures of the roving look remarkably like my mystery roving:

Here's a slightly blurry closeup of the same stuff. You can see the softer texture of the pale, soft fibre, and the darker guard hairs:

Don't you think that looks like the Harlot's goat? As far as I remember, it doesn't smell, though. Ain't I lucky?

So. Mystery roving. Is that a hint I've been holding out on you? Hmm. Well, I guess I should introduce you to a friend that's been with me for more than half my life:

Being a weird child, I asked for this for, I think, my 13th birthday. And Christmas. And possibly 12th birthday, too. I bought a spindle when I was about 11:

But, sadly, this friend of mine has not played much of a part in my life since I went to University. I haven't been able to take her with me. I haven't even hbeen able to let her stay with me in my flat. But, on Monday, J and I move to a new house. It has twice as many bedrooms as this place (as well as a downstairs loo, and a garden and lots more), and she will be able to live with me again. I know almost nothing about the technical aspects of spinning, as I have come to realise in the last 9 months or so, but I do learn fast. :) I can't wait.

Finally, three bobbins. From left to right:

Gleaned wool singles spun in the grease; empty; possibly-goat singles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home